In light of the current guidance relating to COVID19, we kindly ask that you not turn up to a ride without first having contacted us to express your interest in attending. We can only accept a limited number of riders per group so will allocate slots on a first come, first served basis. Please email Membership@EGCC.net if you wish to attend a Club ride.
We have a dedicated WhatsApp group where rides are listed and participation requests can be made directly.
If you would like to join our WhatsApp group, please send your name and mobile number to Membership@EGCC.net to be added.
Guidelines for all riders:
- Participants must not attend a ride or session if they have Covid-19 symptoms, have someone in their household who does and are in the extremely vulnerable category or if they have been asked to remain at home by the UK Government track and trace system. Stay local, cycle to your activity where possible and avoid public transport if you can.
- Please do not turn up early or late for your allocated ride so as to avoid more than the maximum allowable number to congregate.
- Participants must practice good respiratory hygiene during the activity.
- Ensure all those involved maintain social distancing at least 1 meter.
The meeting point for all Club rides is in front of the Atrium Cinema on King Street, RH19 3DJ.
On Saturdays there are between two to three Club rides.
- The steadier pace of the three tend to meet at 08:20 to set off by 08:30. The average pace of these is between 12-13mph (19-21kmh) and the typical distance covered is between 25-50 miles (40-80km). We tend to be back done by approx 12:30pm. The rides are led by an experienced member of the club and aimed at novice or inexperienced riders looking for shorter rides.
- The middle group tends to meet from 08:35 to set off by 08:45. This group is ideal for those looking to push themselves to go an average 14-16mph (22-25khm). The group covers 25-50 miles (40-80km).
- The speedier group meets at 9:00 to set off at 9:15, averages 15-20mph (24-32kmh) and covers 40-60 miles (64-100km).
Sunday Club ride meets at 9:00 to set off at 9:15, average 15-20mph (24-32kmh) and cover 40-60 miles (64-100km).
Please note rides and meet up times are subject to change, it is best to check for updates within our WhatsApp group
The group always reforms at the top of hills to ensure no one is dropped and there may also be times, where possible, that the group is split based on ability.
A common misconception for new riders thinking about joining a club ride is “I won’t be fast enough”. Club rides are about cycling together, we ride as a group. Nobody is left behind.
A café stop of around half an hour for a rest and refreshments is a feature of all Club rides and we therefore advise you to bring some method of payment should you wish to refuel.
Riders are advised to bring a spare inner tube, pump and tyre levers and perhaps a multi-tool. In the event of a ‘mechanical’ the group will stop and help if required.
Sensible clothing is advised and is a matter of common sense depending on the weather and road conditions. It is also more pleasant for everyone if your bike is fitted with mudguards on wetter days.
The rides are open to anybody with a road bike, this includes hybrids with road tyres (not a mountain bike)
Participants must be 12 years of age or over and an adult must accompany riders under 16 unless you have a prior arrangement with a club member who is riding.
Club rides will generally be cancelled when ice is a hazard on grounds of safety.